Be faithful. This is the year you hoped to be better. Don’t let anything stop you from achieving that, because you are limitless as long as you believe yourself to be.
This year, my family and I celebrated New Year differently. Different place (Hong Kong), different way (watching fireworks rather than having dinner all night long), surrounded by different people (away from home and now with people from different countries, and different climate (yup it’s super cold here). Last December 31, we went to Harbour City to witness how Hong Kong celebrates New Year, and join the countdown. Of course we strolled around and shopped first. There were lots of people waiting to see the fireworks display. Since we finished doing everything early at 9 pm, from shopping to dinner, we decided to have coffee and tea first before the countdown starts.
My Favorite New Year Notes:
- Ten things to do in 2017: Berlin Art Parasites
1. Take it a day at a time. You don’t have to know what you’re doing the next day or even the next hour. I’ve learned that the more you think in the future, the shorter the day seems and the months fly past you and you’re left feeling discontent and unsatisfied. It’s almost like everything has been in a blur, and you find yourself saying, “the year went by so fast”, even though you haven’t accomplished much. So do everything in the moment of ‘now’, and cherish each minute like it’s the last minute you have.
2. Let it go. You know nothing is going to change, because you can’t change people unless they truly want to and you can’t change the past either, and the sooner you realize this, you will spend more time being happy than in a constant battle with your mind and your heart. They need to rest too.
3. Take risks. If you never take any, the moment that turned out for the worst could have turned out for the best. This works vice-versa as well, but either way, you will learn from these experiences. You won’t forget how rapidly your heart was beating in these moments and how electric you felt. It will be worth it in the end, trust me.
4. Call up that person that you didn’t spend enough time getting to know, simply because you were too distracted with somebody else or just didn’t feel like you’d become something more than acquaintances. Greet strangers and embrace the idea of diversity. Ask questions about different cultures, morals, ideas, beliefs; educate yourself as much as you can.
5. Go ahead and wear that outfit you keep telling yourself that it doesn’t look good on you. You bought it because you liked it, yes? So, show it to the whole damn world. If you do it with a smile and confidently squared shoulders—even better. You are beautiful.
6. Instead of procrastinating and wallowing in self-pity, get up and do something. Sitting around is not going to do much but make you feel horrible, and you’ll create scenarios that may not even exist or be as big in your head that will cause matters to become worse. You want this to be your year of explosive progress? Set goals and strive to achieve them. You want to look back at the end of the year and say, “I did good”.
7. Spend more time with your family or friends. Build a support system so strong, that you will never feel lonely. In fact, this support system will lead you to feeling content even when you are alone, because you won’t feel the constant need to either be with someone or have somebody who loves you, because you know you’ll have people who love you and the more love you surround yourself with, the easier it becomes to love yourself too.
8. Be kind always and be angry when you need to be. Stand up for the ideas that you believe in and don’t back down from them just because you have a different opinion. Learn to love the sound of your voice when it bounces off the walls of a classroom full of people, because your voice has the power to change a million minds. Remember, you are allowed to feel whatever it is you feel.
9. Go on more road trips or just take a few minutes to be outside by yourself. Inhale and exhale the air around you. Watch the stars, the sunset, the sunrise, the birds flying in the sky, the cars passing by. Walk in the rain sometimes without an umbrella, instead of running. Let the sunlight soak your skin more often. God, isn’t the world itself beautiful?
10. Be faithful. This is the year you hoped to be better. Don’t let anything stop you from achieving that, because you are limitless as long as you believe yourself to be. – This is my favorite, and this basically sums up what we really need to do this year. Don’t let any negativity in.
- From Berlin Art Parasites:
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
- From Paulo Coelho:
Success comes to those who do not waste time comparing what they are doing with what others are doing; it enters the house of the person who says every day: ‘I will do my best.’
People who seek only success rarely find it, because success is not an end in itself, but a consequence.
Obsession doesn’t help at all, it becomes confused as to which path to follow and ends up taking away the pleasure of living.
The truly rich person is the one who is in contact with the energy of Love every second of his existence.
You must have a goal in mind, but, as you go along, it costs nothing to stop now and then and enjoy the view around you.
At such moments, it is important to ask yourself: ‘Are my values still intact?
‘Am I trying to please others and do what they expect of me, or am I really convinced that my work is a manifestation of my soul and my enthusiasm?
‘Do I want success at any price or do I want to be a successful person because I manage to fill my days with Love?’
Don’t worry about the answers – you can always correct your course
Do that in 2017. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
It doesn’t matter how and where you celebrate the new year. What’s important is that you are ready to welcome and embrace the future, and that you do not live in the past. Only take what is important and valuable for you, and leave whatever is not good for you.